A one-day hybrid seminar for all school health stakeholders in the Pacific
On 21 February 2023 a hybrid seminar about the future of school health promotion in the Pacific region took place. This seminar is the first in a series of dialogues that aim to bring together key stakeholders from across the region and provide a platform for discussion and innovation in school health promotion. The major aim of this first seminar was for us to consider how schools can best contribute to the health and wellbeing of students, teachers, and the broader school community moving forward. The seminar adopted a futures based approach to consider what school health promotion might be in 2050.
This seminar is of interest to teachers, teacher educators, health promotion professionals, school nurses and other school health workers, health organisations, policy and curriculum workers, professional associations and academics.
The seminar provided us with an opportunity to:
- Share current approaches to school health promotion across the Pacific region;
- Discuss what we want school health promotion to look, and feel, like in 2050;
- Identify current key enablers and barriers to school health promotion within our local and regional contexts;
- Identify key priorities and actions for strengthening school health promotion in the short and medium term; and
- Network among key stakeholders involved in school health promotion.
|9.00am||Arrival and coffee/tea|
|9.30am||Acknowledgement of country, welcome and setting the scene|
|10.15am||School health promotion: Looking backwards to move forward – Pr. Lawry St Leger|
|10.30am||Snapshots from the Pacific|
|11.15am||Parallel sessions – 45 minutes breakout sessions |
– Digital futures (online English)
– Climate change and sustainability (online English, online French)
– Future workforce development (online French)
– Curriculum, teaching and learning (Monash face to face English)
|12.00pm||Parallel sessions – feedback|
|1.00pm||Presentation re-thinking futures from IUHPE – Sione Tuitahi|
|1.15pm||Postcards from the Pacific – School Health Promotion Futures|
|2.00pm||World Cafe – Where do we go from here?|
|3.00pm||Closing remarks – Dr. Deana Leahy and Pr. Didier Jourdan|
Presentations, recording and participants’ contributions
The recording of the seminar will be posted on this page very soon.
Presentation of the seminar
Presentation of Sione Tu’itahi
The contribution of the participants
For more information download the concept note
Recommendations – Reports
- Regional guidelines: development of health-promoting schools – a framework for action, World Health Organization. Regional Office for the Western Pacific (1996).
- Principes directeurs régionaux pour le développement d’écoles-santé Cadre d’action, Organisation mondiale de la Santé. Bureau régional du Pacifique occidental (1996).
- Ready to learn and thrive. School health and nutrition around the world. UNESCO (2023).
- Making every school a health-promoting school – Global standards and indicators (2021).
- Making every school a health-promoting school – Implementation Guidance (2021).
- Making every school a health-promoting school – Country case studies (2021).
- Supporting every school to become a foundation for healthy lives, Jourdan, D., et. al. (2021). The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health.
- Ressources pédagogiques du programme Réussir, être bien, être ensemble (REBEE), Nouvelle-Calédonie
- Educational resources EDUC@PASIFIKA in french and english
Global Health & Education webinars on school health promotion
- Strategies for school health promotion during COVID-19 (in English)
- Dynamics in School Health Promotion (in English)
- Health literacy in schools: an education asset in the 21st century (in English)
- Pour des écoles en santé et durables – Enjeux et outils pour les équipes d’établissements (in French)
- La santé au quotidien dans les établissements scolaires (in French)
- Valoración y oportunidades para fortalecer la investigación sobre el tema de Promoción de la Salud de la niñez y la adolescencia en América Latina (in Spanish)
- Hacia una agenda regional de Promoción de la Salud Escolar en América Latina (in Spanish)
- Lecciones y Desafíos de la Promoción de la Salud Escolar en América Latina (in Spanish)
- School mental health: whys and hows. How to protect and promote school mental health in 21th century? (in English and Persian)
- Monash University
- University of Clermont Auvergne
- UNESCO chair and WHO Collaborating Centre Global Health & Education
- The Pacific Community
- International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE)
- Réseau Francophone International pour la Promotion de la Santé (REFIPS)
- Australian International Agricultural Research Centre (ACIAR)
- University of Auckland
Under the auspices of
- WHO Western Pacific (tbc) and UNESCO Office for the Pacific States