Recently the recommendations from the WHO European Region Technical Advisory Group (TAG) on Schooling during the COVID-19 pandemic were published. The recommendations represent the work of the TAG between October 2020 and March 2021.
The recommendations were considered at a WHO ministerial meeting on 8 December 2020, after which they were reviewed and updated. The recommendations are endorsed by the TAG to represent the best available evidence and expert advice on safe schooling. Didier Jourdan, chairholder of the UNESCO Chair Global Health & Education was a member of the TAG.
The TAG has formulated recommendations of the following eight key issues:
- Keeping schools open is a key objective
- Testing strategy in the school setting
- Effectiveness of applied risk-mitigation measures on infection control
- Educational outcomes, mental and social well-being
- Children in vulnerable situations
- Changes in the school environment that are likely to be of overall benefit to infection control AND child health
- Children’s and adolescents’ involvement in decision making
- Vaccination strategies with the purpose of maintaining education as a societal good